Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The end of the world

 So i've decided to go with my first choice of a post-apocalyptic world. At first I thought that this would be too difficult to create, but after thinking about it I realized that I could imply that the apocalypse has begun without physically showing it. For instance if I wanted to include zombies in the story I could include the sound of them, without actually showing them. in doing so I'll be able to avoid the costume and makeup for a bunch of actors, while still giving the audience a picture of what is happening. I want to keep the genre the same so my story should include aspects of an expedition as well as action scenes. The action part is fairly easy to create because I can just include a foot-chase scene away from zombies, where the sound of multiple zombies could be heard as the character runs away from them in a panic. As for the adventure part of the film, I think a cool quest and end goal would be meeting up with another group that is still alive.  I could indicate this by a radioed conversation between the character and the group. This forms a sort of objective that the character must achieve in the name of survival. Because of this reason i'm going to have the character alone in this intro, making his journey seem necessary. As for the actual cause of this apocalypse I think that a good story would be that Cobalt-60, a radioactive isotope of Cobalt, was produced through nuclear fission inside Earth's mantle and transported through the crust, contaminating Earth's waterways. I could tell this story simply by including a newspaper article somewhere in the film, that discusses the causes of the disease. Most of the zombie movies like I Am Legend and World War Z, take place in the city, which shows how they have fallen and uses a tremendous amount of CGI. Obviously, I am not capable of doing such a thing, so I want to keep my character away from the city and possible have him go on a journey to the city to meet the people.  My scenery would mainly include forests and big fields, that appear abandoned. 



This is an example from the T.V., The Walking Dead, which depicts two characters that are standing in a scene, similar to the one i would want to film. It is simple, but it gets the point across because the scene looks desolate and abandoned, illustrating the post-apocalyptic feel. 





As for the character of the film, i'm going to play him. No, not because i'm self-centered and want to be the star of the show, but because I know what I want for the film and even if I suck at acting, I just want the message to get across. Im going for a run down and beat up look for the costume design, similar to that of the picture above. 

 I started out with a shirt I got from my brothers closet, that he must not need because he left it when he moved out. If he did like the shirt we may have a problem because I cut up a bunch of holes in it to make it appear over-lived and make it seem like the character has gone through some troubles that caused them. 


This is the final product. I just used an old pair of jeans with a white tee-shirt that I had in my closet. The boots and belt I got from a summer camp for JROTC and I thought they were a nice touch because it makes it seem like I scavenged them because they don't match the rest of the outfit.  The boots are also something that would just generally be seen in a zombie movie because they could be useful.



Now i'm off to plan out the shots..... Stay tuned!






Image Citation:

Venable , Nick. “The Walking Dead Recreated By Kids Is Brutally Adorable.” Cinema Blend , img.cinemablend.com/cb/c/f/f/9/0/d/cff90dc043e52facf4e800eea6c4470c49956023a86d43ba79c82f46eb755641.jpg.

No comments:

Post a Comment