Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Judges Verdict

So today in my media studies class we were randomly assigned to a group, to complete group critiques and provide opinions/recommendations on each others projects. When I first started to explain my story it sounded kind of stupid if i’m being completely honest. Surprisingly they actually likes the idea for my film. 

Their main criticism was that it didn’t seem original enough, so they suggested adding a twist to spice up the movie a little. They said the objective was cool and well thought out, but the story would be much more interesting if the person the main character was trying to reach was someone that he knew, such as a relative. After some further discussion they told me that since I am a kid and I will be acting in the film, it would be best to have the other person be my mom and a group of others. I really like this idea. To create a wow effect I could have the conversation play through on the radio, then only indicate that she is my mother at the end of the conversation, when I say something along the lines of, “Love you, mom.” I think this is a really cool spin on a post apocalypse movie, because I haven’t seen anything like this before. 

They also suggested that I have the character wake up from a coma in a hospital only to find that the apocalypse has happened. I thought this was a cool idea, which is probably why The Walking Dead used the same idea, to start their show. So we ended up disregarding the idea, but I did think it was cool so I want to implement something similar in my story. I could have the beginning of the scene be a dream, where his mother is attempting to wake him by banging on the door but when he wakes he learns that it was actually a zombie banging at the door. Or I could just have a black screen where I say something and then he wakes up from the banging. I think I actually like the second option better mainly because the first one seems too cliche. I could also use the black screen beginning to introduce the problem through voice over narration without physically showing anything, which would make it easier on me. 

The group really enjoyed my character design, so i’m pretty much done working on that part. He doesn’t have a lot of dialogue in the film so I think I can get away with not creating his personality traits. Some of it will be revealed through indirect characterization so i’m going to skip that part. We are all kind of on the same step on the project, which is good because I thought i would fall behind after having to change my story idea and rescheduling filming. 

The two other members in the group didn’t even have a character designed, they just had a general idea of what they wanted to do for it, so I actually feel confident in my pacing now. I’m going to start focusing on my story and the shots I want to use now. 


See you guys next time..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment